The History of a family businessCentral Garage Lichfield, Est. 1932
Formed in 1932 as Central Garage with Grand Father Edgar Kershaw as proprietor, the company was setup and still is a family owned and operated business to this day. The old Central Garage was located in Conduit Street, now a McDonalds.
An early business card for Central Garage – the phone number was only 4 digits long!
After playing her part producing munitions during WW2, Mary joins Central Garage to help her younger brother (Fred) run the business. Fred and Mary both ran the business in partnership until it became a limited company in 1982 when she became company secretary.
Fred Kershaw, son of Edgar Kershaw, follows in his Father’s footsteps, stepping up to run Central Garage. Fred was a Freeman of Lichfield’s Worshipful Company of Smiths and a friend of Tewkesbury Abbey. He sadly passed away in 1988.
Pictured here is Norman Kershaw, training in the family trade. Son of Fred Kershaw, Norman went on to run Central Garage
Fred (front), Norman (rear) and David (right) with sisters on annual holiday aboard Central Garage’s Recovery vehicle.
Already keen to follow in the family business, pictured here, a young David Kershaw.
Central Garage moves from Conduit Street to Queen Street – and the old garage is turned into a fast food giant from America! McDonalds is still there to this day.
With the death of their Father, David and Norman take over operations at Central Garage
With demand in the city for high quality vehicle maintenance and new vehicle testing technology requiring more room, Central extend their operation with a new floor for offices and storage and meeting rooms!
Central employees Phil Douthwaite and Dave Borton become directors of Central Garage
David had successfully run Central Garage with his brother Norman for many years. David has now taken on 100% of the business to ensure the family business continues.
Having worked at Central Garage for many years, managing the reception and customer service desk, Christopher is promoted to become a director of the business.
The garage remains open throughout the Covid-19 Lockdown with 50% staff. The rest of the staff are furloughed. Slowly the workforce returns from June onwards. Pictured – John Barker (JB) retires after 18 years with the business and nearly 50 years on the spanners!